What is Contract Works insurance?


No matter what size the job is, from minor renovations to a new build, Contract Works insurance needs to be in place. So, what is Contract Works insurance? 

Contract Works insurance is designed to cover accidental and sudden physical loss or damage to the property that is insured during the construction period. Depending on your policy, this could also include the cost of the labour, materials and tools required in order to get the job back on track.


What could a Contracts Works policy cover?

  • Natural disasters, such as bushfires, fire, earthquakes, flood and water damage, subsidence and landslip, storm, tsunami or wind
  • Building materials, equipment, tools being transported to your building site
  • Theft, vandalism and arson of construction work and materials.
  • Loss and accidental damage while building work is being done


Who is responsible for arranging cover?

For new builds, full Contract Works is required and the builder or construction company usually arranges cover. 

If renovations or alterations are being done to an existing structure, the responsibility will fall on the owner. 

There are two main types of Contract Works policies. Depending on your situation, you may want a one-off contract and look at this project by project, or an annual policy for someone who regularly builds new homes. 


Who needs this? 

  • Tradespeople who run their own projects
  • Owner builders
  • Sub-contractors 


As a business owner, the key to success is minimising any potential risks for your company. 

Get in touch with us today to discuss your options. 

Related articles