Impacted by flooding? Tips on what to do next


Where can you keep up with Essential Information?

There are regular updates provided by local civil defence groups here.
If you are in Auckland, the council is updating their website here.

What to do if your contents or tools have been damaged

1. Keep record and evidence of all damaged contents

Take photos of all damaged contents and keep a list of them before disposal.

2. Disposing of waste

Where you are able to, remove items outside of the house somewhere out of the way to try
and try them out if possible. Keep them for an assessor to review then they can be arranged to be disposed of as part of your claim.

For items that are not redeemable and you need to dispose of them, ensure to take photos
before disposing of them. Auckland council has nine sites around Auckland that you are able to access to dispose of flood waste free of charge. You can call Auckland council on 0800 22 22 00 to confirm the visit and location.

3. Items that may be able to be restored

For other items affected that can be restored with cleaning and appropriate servicing,
storing these somewhere safe where there is protection from further damage is preferred if possible. Then your insurer can assist in arranging for them to be assessed to see if they are repairable before disposing of them.

4. Electrical Items

If any electric item such as tools or household appliances have water damage, get an
electrician to test them to ensure they are safe before using them again.

5. Refrigerated and frozen food has spoiled

You may dispose of any perishable items that are unsafe, make sure to keep photographic evidence. You may be required to provide an itemised list and a quote or invoice for reimbursement, although in most cases if your claimed amount looks reasonable, you will be reimbursed.

Post-flood clean up at your property

1. Getting help with your urgent work or repairs

You may need a tradesperson to do some urgent work or repairs to your property. Urgent
works or repairs are usually temporary in nature, leaving more permanent repairs to be carried out once your claim with us has been accepted and settled.

If you need to pay contractors for any urgent work or repairs, it’s important that you and your
contractor carefully document the urgent works or repairs carried out. This includes keeping a good record of what work was needed, why it was needed and what was done. If your claim is accepted, you may be able to get reimbursed for the cost of urgent works or repairs. You can read more about arranging urgent works or repairs on the EQC website or contact us.

2. What to do with damaged carpet

If you’re pulling up carpets remember they may be contaminated so you need to be careful. If you can, store the carpet outside for the assessor to look at but If you’re disposing of them, cut a corner from the carpet to be used as a sample. If it’s possible, try to dry the carpet out with methods such as hiring a rug doctor or commercial fans/heaters before removing the carpet.

3. Flooded rooms that reached power points

Ensure any rooms affected by flooding are checked by an electrician before plugging in devices.

4. If your house is deemed uninhabitable & you have house insurance

If you have home insurance there is a temporary accommodation benefit you may be eligible
for. It will assist with the cost of temporary accommodation for your family and your pets if the home is deemed uninhabitable. You are able to find something that is equivalent to your living arrangement. If it is a short-term stay it may be a motel accommodation. For long-term accommodation then it will assist with paying for a rental benefit up to your sub-limit on your schedule.

5. If your rental property is deemed uninhabitable

If your property is listed as a rental property and deemed uninhabitable by the insurer you may be eligible for the loss of rent benefit until it is repaired. See your policy wordings for the sub-limits that apply to you.

6. What sort of timeframes should be expected during a large weather event?

Depending on the severity of damage at your home, the wait times for repairs can take a few
months or more for the most damaged properties. If there is a land instability component to your claim, it can take much longer to allow the relevant experts to determine the solution for the property.

7. What if you have land damage that needs repairing?

Any land related damage or work that requires an engineer should be referred to your insurer in the first instance before you engage in work as they will need to assess the property and engage with EQC.

What to do if your vehicle has been flooded

1. Do not drive flood-damaged vehicles

Due to potential electrical damage and contamination issues. Most submerged vehicles are
likely to be a total loss. The general process for a total loss will be to agree with you on the value of the vehicle and the amount payable to you. The vehicle will then be disposed of with any salvage value retained by us.

2. Arranging your car to be towed

You can arrange for them to be towed or wait for your insurer to arrange for it to be towed to a safe place. If you arrange the tow, keep any receipts to lodge with your claim.

3. Collect your belongings from your car

Prior to towing, where possible, remove all personal belongings, but only if it is safe to do so.

4. Rental car benefit

Check to see if you have the rental car option on your insurance, if so you might be eligible for a free rental car for up to 14 days if they are available. If not you may be eligible for a subsidy to arrange a rental vehicle.

Claim Support Team

Our claims team is here to support you throughout your claim to assist with any queries and
help you lodge your claim.

Email –
Phone – 0505 4 222 887 (Mon – Friday 8.30 to 5pm)

You can find our online claim forms on our Cactus Website.

Related articles